The seven-story 33,000 square foot office building was originally built in 1907, and renovations involved tenant improvements to various floors and common spaces.
Common space areas include the lobby, elevators, stairs, corridors and restrooms, where improvements consisted of ADA compliance, auto door openers, security access control and CCTV monitoring, energy-efficient lighting upgrades, wall finishes, specialty finishes, furniture, elevator cab upgrades, floor coverings, and signage.
Our primary objective in designing this renovation was to create a minimalist environment that balanced monochromatic colors and natural materials with energetic forms.
We used simple materials including raw metals and wood veneers, exposed pre-existing brick, and frameless glass to accomplish our goals of a minimalist yet expansive space. We sought out rawness and simplicity inspired by eastern philosophies such as Wabi Sabi and Feng Shui. The wood veneer clad central corridor draws energy and movement toward the centrally located cafe intended to be the communal gathering space.